Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Tim Henman like a faithful old dog?

I was watching the end of his first round match against Carlos Moya there. He squeaked through finally after Moya double faulted on match point to win 13-11 after squandering about 6 match points during hte course of the game.

I felt strangely nervous watching him, he has been a really good tennis player in his time and even watching this game you can see he is still a quality tennis player despite being past his very best. He had such a poor run of form and injuriy problems in last couple of years that I couldn't help but feel sorry for him and hoped he won and goes on and has a decent finish to his season and maybe retires on a high of some sort.

He been around for so long he is like some faithful old dog, he so inoffensive and I don't think I have ever seen him profess an opinion. Indeed since he was disqualified for a very un Henman like show of petulance as younger lad in a Wimbledon doubles game for twatting a ball girl or a crowd member with a ball in frustration he hasn't even been close to doing anything controversial.

When you consider the unbelievebly twee and twatty fans and hype that has followed him over his career I am quite surprised at myself. I think it stems from other people who have for years slated the guy terrbily for not winning majors and not being a Sampras or Federer type. Which is fair enough but very few people are that good and he has had about as good a career as you can hope to have without reaching the very pinnacle.

I'll never get passionate about tennis but like most sport I can't help but have at least a passing interest. Hoping Henman gets a wee run to the quarters or so and in the next few years young Andy Murray can go on and go that one step further than Henman managed in his time. Anyway, an hour or so of watching tennis is more than enough for me I'm off to get myself ready to play football later. Last kickabout before my hols, hope it's a good one.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home