Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Holiday reading

Here is a list of books I have purchased to read on holiday. I'll also give a brief synopsis or reason for purchase.

Reasons to be Cheerful by Mark Steel - A book about one comedians life involved in left wing politics over 25 years or so. Basicaly I am buying this book because I happened to watch his programme the Mark Steel lectures which are generally brilliant. Someone also emails me his Independent columns which are usually pretty good. Indeed I've copied and posted a few here in the past. Also saw him live, funny and insightful I'm quite happy to listen to anything he has to say, even if he does like cricket.

A Hat Full of Sky by Terry Pratchett - You can't go to far wrong with a bit of Pratchett. His Discworld novels are consistently good even if this one is strickly speaking aimed at a younger reader. but what the hell it'll still be a decent read and well I am on holiday so not to demanding(hopefully). I think the only Discworld novel I don't yet have is this one and the last one featuring the Rincewind character who is my least favourite in the series.

Chomsky on Anarchism by Noam Chomsky - Chomsky is brilliant, so far anything I've read by him has been rather good. Slightly more challenging than junior Pratchett he tears away at official lies and manipulations like an aggresive ferret enraged that you've tried to stuff it down your trousers. He matter of factly punctures offical lies and 'truths' and shows you the world as it really is. That said as the review on the link to amazon said 'We all know what Noam chomsky is against,' I couldn't tell you exactly what he stands for and believes in other than by inference and presumption having read what he is agianst and has attacked. I've bought this book to get a better understanding of his guiding principles and ideas for how he thinks we maybe should be doing things.

Power: A New Social Analysis by Betrand Russell
- Ok so not that new it was written in the 1930's but I've taken this on reccomendation from Robert Newmans website. "This should be a much more influential book. In it Russell argues that redistribution of power ("as far as practically applicable") should be the central project of social justice, whereas we tend to act as if redistribution of wealth was the thing. He argues that understanding the drive for power tells us more about the world than the sex or capital-based ideologies of Freud and Marx. Power should be the central concept of social theory as well as of social justice." Sounds good enough for me.

A Little History of the World by E.H. Gombrich
- Also off Robert Newmans reading list, well I'm interested in the history of the world but there is rather a lot of it so by including the word little in it, well that sealed the deal really. Again aimed at a younger audience but hopefully an easy, enjoyable and informative read.

No War: America's Real Business in Iraq by Naomi Klein - Well sounds a bit more contempary and having read No Logo and Fences and Windows by the same author I think she tends to know what she is talking about. I think the title probably tells you enough as to what it's about.

and finally The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli - Well the word Machiavellian has become a byword for unscrupulous cunning particularly in world of politics. the book is considered a classic and quite relavent today. So thought I might as well read it, broaden historical knowledge base at the same time.

That should see me through the holiday, I might need to find a science fiction epic to add to the list, that is something of a gaping hole for me there. Trouble is only ones I have a real interest in just now aren't out at all yet or still in hard back format, which isn't ideal for poolside reading. Nevermind the added weight if you started lumping big tomes into your suitcase.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home