Tuesday, May 08, 2007

What a farce...

...around 100,000 people couldn't fill in a ballot correctly! Yes I'm sure theres a figure in the thousands of people deliberately spoiling ballot papers in a form of protest, can't say I've never been tempted just to write some rant or single word piece of abuse on a ballot paper. Probably only thing that stopped me is that only bugger to read it would be some balllot counter in Wishaw Sports Centre and they aren't who I'd really be aiming it at.

I can't believe how stupid some people are. It was all very clearly explained, on polling card, at the polling station. If you were in doubt you could find it explained in the media in several places. But given the circumstances of the sudden increase in spoiled votes it's hard not to conclude that we have thousands of complete idiots trying to vote. We either should have some basic intelligence test or just not worry about it as lets face it if someone is so thick that they can't complete a simple ballot paper correctly then you do not want them voting in the first place.

As for the result itself, I was quite pleased. Disappointed the Labour share of the vote didn't really go down much. The blood on the hands and rolling back of civil liberties of this party albeit at a national level is so much I find it hard to comprehend how anyone with the ability to reason would vote for them. Even if I was a hardened unionist I'd have voted SNP at the election as any possibility of Independence could only happen after a referendum and irrespective of my own thoughts on that unlikely as it is I feel whatever position you take a referendum isn't a bad thing. Obviously the SNP has garnered more support that at any time before and it does raise the question of independance but I think you'll find many people voted for SNP for reasons other than their Independence referendum pledge and stated long term aim.

So far it is looking like no coalition is likely to develop, there is still time but the only real coalition option for the SNP the Lib Dems doesn't appear to be happening. How well the SNP will fare trying to govern as a minority party is if not certain likely to be problematic. My worst fear is that they flounder due to lack petty politics or we go back to the polls and the safe option of Labour comes back to comfort the new found SNP converts who possibly don't have a whole heap of faith in them.

Irrespective of independence New Labour needs and deserves a damn good kicking in Scotland, and getting narrowly beaten in terms of seats and popular vote for me isn't enough.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home