Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Some days it is just not your day...

...and playing football last saturday proved it.

It is a bit of a transitional period for Fir Park Corner at the present, a few players have left and a few new ones have joined. Mostly without any great loss in quality, although our first choice keeper and pacy striker have been sorely missed. Arguably wee joe our nippy forward hadn't been at his absolute best the past season but his speed was phenominal and he was always a handful. Farmer our keeper also kept us in many a game so it is no real surprise we are struggling a bit.

Saturdays result was truly dismal though, a 6-1 reverse to an in form Ayr team that we'd thrashed not but a couple of months previously. First goal we lost had a hint of offfside but not one you could complain about greatly with no linesman you tend to benefit from marginal decisions at least as much as suffer from them, and it was a reasonably well worked move. Second goal however was a lack of marking at a free kick. We then pulled one back with a very tidy goal ourselves, a good through ball from our left back and composure in box from midfielder who'd got on the end of it. We then got hit by the sucker punch counter as we pushed for the equaliser. In at half time 3-1 down but by no means feeling like we were out the game.

We started the second half fairly well but we lacked a cutting edge up front and itcame back to haunt us as a very definately offside looking goal left us 4-1 down and looking out of it. Still we kept plugging away and looked to have pulled another back from a good header from a inswinging free kick only for it to be ruled offside. For once I can say with certainty it absolutely wasn't as I was right in line with our scorer and had watched both our runs in behind the defence after the ball was struck. This was the moment that probably ended our slim chance of getting something. A fifth on the breakaway which I have to hold my hand up to giving away possession, I had the chance to have a shot from the edge of the box and at 4-1 down I cna't for life of me think why I didn't but as I received the ball I saw a run from a forward in good position and tried to dink it into his path, didn't hit it cleanly and a defender lunging to block an expected shot deflected it away and they romped clear to score. Soon after this I had to limp off, my old boots were more worn out than I thought and the studs on my left boot had started poking through my insole and cut into sole of my foot and had been getting worse as game went on. I still managed to see a comedy moment as useless fat defender kicked the ball to opposition striker for an easy sixth to pile on the humiliation. By this time it was only pride that was taking a beating now.

League is already a write off for this season, in terms of any hopes of winning it after being runner up last two seasons it's all but getting a settled team and building for the next couple. Our new additions if we can get them all playing regularly will soon get us back to level we were, it's just not going to be to easy in the short term it seems.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home