Thursday, August 02, 2007

Oh what might have been!

A bit disappointed with my showing in the Pro Evo tournament last night, but it could all have been so different. It started well, actually it started badly, the previous night one of the main organisers broke his ankle toboganing at X-scape and the whole event was for a while in danger. As it was it was a bit of a shambles at the beginning but despite getting off a bit later it got going and I started my first game well.

2-0 up inside the first ten minutes, my opponent pulled one back before half time. An early goal in the second half put me right back in the driving seat but my opponent wasn't for chucking it and fought back and with about 15 minutes of the match(pro evo time not real time) managed to force an equaliser. I looked in danger of blowing a game I had twice led by two goals. In this goalfest though I always felt confident of scoring again and duly did with about 7 minutes left and closed out the game to win 4-3. Sadly it would be the highpoint of my tournament.

After a short break I was back for my second match, buoyed by having got an early win I went into it full of confidence. Wintry conditions were order of the day and a tight and tense affair was soon under way. My opponent in this game was a harder nut to crack but I also was keeping him at bay, I'd went closest to scoring but with 5 minutes of the tie left a 0-0 draw looked inevitable. Still I forced a corner and was looking for the one goal that would surely win it when disaster struck. The screen went blank and resolutely remained so, the judge was called for and the overworked and clearly stressed out official looked unsure what to do and ordered a replay. Needless to say the replay didn't go so well, another tight affair was on the cards and 35 minutes in the pattern was much the same when my opponent managed to get in behind my defensive line but the attack seemed thwarted as my came came out and collected the ball at the edge of the box as my defenders harried and denied a clear shooting opportunity. Then it happened, my keeper stood up, ball in hands and crept to close to the edge of the box, dropped the ball right at my opponents strikers feet and he didn't look the gift horse in the mouth and crsiply stroked it home for 1-0. Open mouthed in shock I couldn't believe it, I had looked away to make a comment to someone, I don't think it mattered but a crucial advantage had been gained. As I chased the game I conceded a second midway though the second half and it was all over. Feeling slightly hard done by I could only shake hands with my opponent who had played well and made the most of the rub of the green.

At this point I'd have liked a short break to compose myself but before I could rise from my seat my next opponent was ready to play and it seemed churlish to refuse. Again no mug at Pro Evo he secured a 3-2 win to almost certainly put me out of the contest. With one game left I really only had pride to play for, I won my last game 2-1 which left me tied with two other players on 6 points but alas my goal difference wasm't good enough to scrape the second place needed to progess. A 0-0 draw in the second game would have been enough.

So I can't deny I'm disappointed at how it went, it was still enjoyable but I felt I was good enoguh to be in the last 16. In my opinion everyone in my group was a capable player, but none truly outstanding. I include myself in that assessment, the biggest disappointment was that in the next stage I would have been scheduled to play one of the two players that went on to contest the final. I didn't expect to beat them but I wanted to test myself against them and a dodgy PS2 or copy of the game denied me the chance. Am I bitter? Nah its far to trivial to get that upset about, but if it ever comes up in conversation you can be assured I'll moan like a champion about it given the opportunity :-)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home