Saturday, April 08, 2006

Novel Update

I now have 5 completed chapters. Since i cracked the 20,000 word mark towards end of last year it's been slow going and my christmas break got extended until ooh well into march. I have managed to add a couple of thousand words now, still a bit slow going on the fresh new writing, I have however done a fair bit of tweaking and editing,

So far I have 3 story threads, one set in Dundee, one on a Moon based habitat and the other on a space station orbiting mars. I might move that to Jupitor though just for the hell of it, also i think resources wises Jupitor might make more sense. Anyway no cheeky jokes about mars or the moon having more atmosphere than Dundee. I once heard Dundee being descirbed as, "a concrete prison of the North." Not sure why but the phrase has certainly stuck in the memory.

I now need to start on chapter 5(Chapters 1-4,6 are finished) and it's gonna be a little tough to start with i think as it'll be the first new bit of writing i've started in a while. I guess i just need to think of it as continueing on from the events in the 2nd chapter but there a break and a slight jump forward. Once I'm started I'll be fine, I'll sit down later and sketch out a chain of events and work from that.

I've also decided that i'd like to write a short story or two. Something smaller in scale, i think it'll help when the novel seems a bit big and i struggling over pacing and plotting etc. About what as yet I don't know I'll see what comes into my head next time i'm sitting in near a pen and paper or more likely open office.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tom said...

Best quote I heard about Dundeh is that "it's like Romania without the gymnasts"

10:49 AM  
Blogger Just Some Guy said...

Thats good. I'm going to steal that and shoehorn it into my book if i can.

9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home