Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Poker highs and lows

Following on from the earlier post about poker i've got a few highs and lows to comment on. As i think i said earlier i was sitting about $16 dollars up, so i went in to see if i couldn't continue on from there. Played for a bit and added another $7 or so, feeling very pleased with myself at being now up to a roll of $53. I wouldn't say i was getting cocky but i was feeling quite confident that i had enough skills to keep coming out ahead at this low limit stuff. I was due for a bit of a humbling.

With the day still quite young i thought i'd head back in for some more action. I started off steadily enough hovering around what i took into the game or marginaly ahead, fairly sure that a reasonably big hand would come along and get me a few dollars more. It didn't quite work out that way, a bad beat and a misjudgement or two later and i was down the $7 i'd won earlier. I steadied the boat slightly and left the room glad only to have lost $5 or so. Took a moment and went into another room to see if i couldn't recoup my losses, i could feel that i was playing to loose and playing to much from hope than judgement and i was soon down again. I left to go to the football only $7.50 ahead on my original stake and $15.55 down on my high point of the day.

I wasn't quite devastated but i was kicking myself for not sticking the with simple rules that had got me so far ahead. Sure maybe a combination of the cards and luck meant i wasn't going to make anything over the previous two sessions but i should have maintained the discipline and patience to see it out. I was staying in a hand that bit to long before folding or finding myself pot committed with fairly weak cards.

So i went off to play football and put it to the back of my mind, when i got home however i thought i need to get back on the horse. I'll either win some back or lose. No point putting it off until later, still feeling quite fresh lets see if we can't learn our lesson and lets face it i still need the practice. I got back in the game and despite being over $5 down again at one stage and being perilously close to dipping into a deficit i maintained my composure, waited for the right cards and stormed back to add another $10 onto my winnings. So i'm back on $47.75 and still up for the day if down from that high point. So a valuable lesson learned and still a little bit ahead, lets hope it's a lesson that doesn't need repeating.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

welcome to the club, your a gambling addict. Never try and chase losses, it always ends in tears

1:46 PM  
Blogger Just Some Guy said...

That sounded just a bit to personal. You feel you need to share something...?

2:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home