Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Link Example 4

This is probably the weakest of the links i've got on my blog. Not because the person who i've linked to isn't really good but i don't think he has a really good website about himself. This link does however give you a bit of an idea what he is all about.

I first heard of him through a friend sending me unsolicited if not unwelcome forwardings of his Independent columns. Unfortunately he isn't at present doing these and i'm not sure if they can be found online anywhere.

It was the Mark Steel lectures however that had me really won over, i stumbled across them on BBC4 and was hooked. History to me was a subject that was stuffy, boring and badly taught at school by a teacher that looked liked every morning he contemplated suicide rather than face another day of hell teaching hordes of children who were by turn belligerant and downride contemptful of him.

This has turned my opinion of history around, history is something that needs to be taught, it must be taught with the enthusiasm and verve that Mark Steel shows in these lectures. We need to lose the dusty image that is associated with history. I'd get this show shown in my History lessons if i was responsible for teaching kids about any of the people featured.

I'm still intending to buy some Beethoven on the back of that episode, i never imagined myself as a classical music listener but the show was that inspiring.

I found a link to his independent writings, unfortunately you'll have to subscribe to read them.

Oh yeah, he's written some books that i havn't read myself but i have every intention of doing so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home