Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Spurious rant number 4

Anyone use yahoo mail? It is annoying the life out of me. Obviously i have clicked the "Remember my ID on this computer" box to save typing in my username and password on a regular basis. However as a security precaution it does ask for my password on average about once every 24 hours. Not a problem, or it wasn't a problem! Now whenever it asks me to do this it does appear to be the same screen as it always has. My username is remembered and i just need to type in my password and hit enter and i'm back in my email? Well no longer, once i do this it takes me to a new screen where i have to retype my username, then my password and then in a new box below that type in some funky fonted letters which appear in a box beneath the blank one i'm meant to copy them to.

It is a bloody nonsense, i'm not the most technicaly minded and maybe someone can it explain it to me but how does copying letters from what anyone can see on the screen count as a security measure? I type my password in correctly that should be enough!

2 Comments:

Blogger Curious Servant said...

Those strange looking letter are designed so that they are unrecognizable by a software program but not a person.

There is a type of software that creates web-bots. These little programs are designed to set up email accounts, enter chat rooms, blogs, and other such sites, gather info, such as email addresses, then send spam to those addresses. Once they have done that they then go get a new email account and start it all over.

This is going to probably get worse over the next year or so, and then the security measures that are underway will probably catch up and we will see a huge reduction in spam and spam bots.



http://jobstale.blogspot.com/

3:04 PM  
Blogger Just Some Guy said...

thanks for the explanation, i had saw those strange letters elsewhere but the way it was implemented on yahoo mail was seriously annoying me.

4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home