Tuesday, June 21, 2005

I've gone and tired myself out....

....with serious type posts again, that and 3 hours of football tonight. There was something i was thinking about writing, blogs, censorship of them under repressive regimes etc and a bit about china but that can wait until tomorrow. I shall instead post about two of the finest pc games ever to grace the planet, Football Manager and Counterstrike.

Obviously it was the Championship Manager series that i was first introduced to and many fond memories of it i have, 96/97 season game was my first version and it helped make the summer months between my first and second years at university fly past. Sadly there was a split between the devolopers of the game sports interactive and the publishers Eidos and the heart and soul of Champy went onto become Football Manager while the empty shell of Championship Manager is now touted around shops for the unwary to buy in the mistaken belief they are buying the premier football management sim.

Counterstrike i was introduced to in my 4th year at university and could well have been something to do with me making a right james hunt of it. I had just gotten my first pc, to help with my studies, and i lived in a flat with some technologicaly literate young fellows who had a home network which was also linked with the guys in the flat next door. So we had 9 pc's linked together and many many games of Counterstrike that year. When you add on the more traditional student pursuits of getting guttered at least a couple of times a week then it's no wonder the work suffered. Basic premise is you have two teams, one terrorists and the other counter terroists and the main aim is one side kills the other, although there are scenarios like rescuing hostages, bombing somewhere, assasination missions etc. What i can say is flat 3L 32 Castle street kicked flat 3R's arse!

I don't actually have Counterstrike installed on my pc just now and havn't for some time as the amount i need to play it to stay at a respectable level is just to much to leave me time for much else and it was never quite the same after i left uni, although for a while the old blueyonder gaming servers were good fun.

Football Manager on the other hand is running just now, au revoir.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home